Friday, May 9, 2008

The Host


So I finished Stephanie Meyer's new book The Host today. It was good. I really like her style of writing and I thought the book was interesting and well done. I didn't have nearly the emotional connection with the main characters as I do with Bella and Edward, but it was a solid book. I also finished the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares, a while ago and never got around to sharing my opinion. They were all quick reads and slightly shallow, but had some interesting points and I can see how they have been successful. Her other book The Last Summer of You and Me was her attempt at an adult audience and I thought she did better writing for young adults. I also read Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I thought it was fabulous, but he definitely took too long for me to get to the point of the book. I already think we program our children and society as a whole to accept credit as a normal and wanted thing, and he spends a lot of time focusing of how this hurts us.He's definitely passionate about what he's talking about and I recommend the book to anyone looking to gain control of their financial future. It was a great segway into my new calling. Yeah! I have a new calling. No more ward activities for me! I am doing something new and working with those in my ward who are in the welfare system to help them get back on track. Should be interesting!

We're finally getting started on fixing up the house. We got a new roof last week and right now workers are putting up new siding and we should be getting all new windows soon too. I will be great to have them done, but even better it will be nice to have the house fixed up. Whether we stay in the house or move into a bigger one in the next year or two it needed to get done and I'm grateful we took advantage of the opportunity to do this.

Other than that things here have been quiet (except for all the banging) and I look forward to spending the evening with my husband at prom tonight. Always a fun tradition!

4 comments:

Hendry Happenings said...

Congratulation on a new calling. Notice I did not say, "the new calling", just anything different. You worked so hard and did such a great job.

Build It,Sew It,Love It said...

So how can Stephanie Meyer write another book-Has anyone told her we are all waiting for the 3rd edition of Twilight at the stores!! She needs to pump that baby out ASAP!! How was the traveling pants books?
Jenn

Mel said...

I love Dave Ramsey! Of course you don't need any help with finances since you have always been good with money. We are actually going to his live show in Salt Lake next Sat. We are out of debt, but I still love him! He is so powerful and motivating to me. I too am wanting to read the 4th book more than the Host! But think I will pick it up at Costco. Glad you are getting some fixings done on your house. And if you do move you know a Girl's Retreat will be there :) Happy Mother's Day!

Lambert the Sheepish Lions said...

We were sad to hear that you were released from your old calling. You did such a fantastic job at it. Ward nights were always something to look forward to! Thank you for that!

On another note, I LOVED The Host as well. She just has a way with her writing style. I am looking forward to the 4th book in the Twilight series. I have a countdown on my blog..tee hee hee.